Sunday, January 16, 2011

1-16-11

I have not been working much on the '99 car lately, but this weekend I started on a neat part for that car.  I picked up an AIM Visor off of eBay a month or so ago and I am working on a integrated dash and paddle shifter for Insanity.  The neat thing about the dash is that it will integrate directly with the PE controller via the RS232 cable.  Have not been able to test it yet with the cars in storage, but I don't foresee any issues.


Another interesting part of this project is modifying the steering wheel.  I am modifying the original steering wheel from my DSR, it was in crap shape so I don't mind cutting on it.  First I cut out the top section to allow for the dash.  Second, I laminated the aluminum with carbon fiber sheet to cover up all of the holes that had been drilled in this wheel over time.  Lastly, I trimmed the carbon fiber with a laminate trimmer bit for my router.  The final product turned out surprisingly well.

The other significant part of the project is the paddle shifter switches.  Not sure what shifting system it will operate, but I'll worry about that later.  I drew up the concept in Autocad and printed it out 1:1.  Glued that to cardboard and made a mock up.  Going to send the file to laser cutter tomorrow.


Very simple design.  The part will be made from 20 gauge steel and flex of the paddle will actuate the switch (only one is mocked up in the photo).  An aluminum spacer goes b/w the wheel and the paddle to provide the spacing for the switch.  Hopefully it works well, might even test this part on Stumpy before it goes on Insanity.