Repairs are underway on the '97 & '98 cars. Jason came up Monday night and we started the engine swap in the '97 car. The previous engine decided to ventilate itself, such are the perils of eBay engines.
I plan to finish up the engine swap this week. I also had a chance to look at the front wheel bearings on the '98 car. The inboard bearing on the right side was basically in pieces inside of the hub. The car had been running on the outboard bearing for who knows how long. Jason an I had noticed a strange vibration in the car the past several outings, but could never isolate it.
Luckily, as bad as it looks there was no serious damage and with a new set of bearings it should be good as new. I'm interested to see if this was the cause of the heavy steering feel at the last outing.
I'm starting to make progress once again on the '99 car. I have mocked up the new pedal cluster and with a few more tweaks I should have something I can fabricate. Originally I was going with an under slung design similar to the original, but ergonomic considerations have forced me to stick the master cylinders out the front of the car. The crush zone will have to be adjusted accordingly. The plan is to have 5" of adjustability.
Also, I have purchased a FC seat that I am using as the template for the seat for this car. The unfortunate reality is that many of the frame tubes in the cockpit are having to be reworked for ergonomic concerns. I am pretty excited about this seat. With the lessons learned on the seat for the '98 car, this is going to be a pretty cool part.




