Sunday, December 18, 2011

12-18-11

Brought the '98 & '97 cars back to the garage for a little maintenance.  Gave me a chance to test out the newest addition to the garage which is a Harbor Freight electric winch.  Lifted the '98 car up on to the roll around cart with no problem and the garage didn't fall down, success!


I am repairing the steering on the '98 car which was broken on the last outing of the year due to an off track excursion.  The failed part is a lower quality ball joint which has also broken on a previous outing.  I'll be replacing it with a quality rod end and clevis, but the broken parts are not going to waste.  I turned the ball portion of the broken joint down to make the new rack ends for the '99, see picture below.


Another little bit of progress has been the molds for the elbow pockets in the seat for the '99.  These will fit into cut-outs in the seat and provide the necessary space for the driver's eldows while steering and also while belting into the car.


I plan to stop making molds and start making parts over the holidays, more to come on that.